If you are catering for non-meat eaters this Christmas, or simply want a change from the usual turkey, give your tastebuds a festive treat with these alternative Christmas lunch recipes, specially created by Kikkoman.
8 small shallots, peeled
400g mixed chestnut and button mushrooms, wiped
200g cooked chestnuts
2 bay leaves and 1 sprig fresh thyme
100ml red wine
Approx 100ml vegetable stock
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2-3tbsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce
fresh parsley, finely chopped
150g fresh cranberries, thawed if frozen
225g puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1 egg, beaten
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Melt the butter in a frying pan and sauté the shallots until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
2. Add the chestnuts, herbs and the red wine and enough vegetable stock to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to reduce the liquid a little.
3. Stir in the mustard, soy sauce and parsley. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Spoon half the mixture into a 23cm deep pie dish. Top with the cranberries and spoon over the remaining chestnut and mushroom mix.
5. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and place on top of filling. Brush with the beaten egg. Make three small slits and bake for about 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve with seasonal vegetables.