This light, spring soup is simple to prepare and a great way to celebrate the start of courgette season.
Fry onion, garlic, courgette and basil until softened, before adding vegetable stock and Parmigiano Reggiano rind. Remove the rind and blend until smooth. Bring the soup to simmer and stir through Parmigiano Reggiano, lemon zest, basil leaves and crème fraîche.
To serve, top each portion with crème fraîche, chopped basil, lemon zest and shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano.
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 kg courgettes, chopped
1.5 handfuls basil leaves
650ml vegetable stock
2 inch piece Parmigiano Reggiano rind
Zest of 1 lemon
100g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
4 tbsp crème fraîche
25g shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
Salt and pepper
- Sweat the onion and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until softened
- Add the courgette and basil and cook until soft (10-15 minutes)
- Add in the stock and Parmigiano Reggiano rind and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the rind and discard
- Pour into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Transfer to a saucepan and bring to simmering point. Remove from the heat and stir through grated Parmigiano Reggiano, ½ lemon zest, 1 handful torn basil leaves, 2 tbsp crème fraîche and season to taste
- Serve in individual soup bowls, topped with more crème fraîche, chopped basil, lemon zest and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano